Interesting Facts On Bubble Wrap Origin
One may hardly imagine any household move or freight transportation without securing relocated goods with bubble wrap. It is very handy in use, lightweight, flexible and almost indispensable while transferring fragile items. Children adore its hemispheres filled with air due to a nice sound while being popped.
This wrapping is not only utilitarian, but has a long history starting as far as 1957. Two inventors in Switzerland, Al Fielding and Marc Chavannes, sealed a pair of shower curtains, leaving air and space between glued seams aiming at creating a new kind of 3-dimensioned wallpaper. As a result, decorative material was not good enough. However, it appeared to be a success for goods packing due to its shock absorbing qualities. Frederick W. Bowers, who offered its further utilization to IMB as wrapping peanuts, commenced the industrial scale of its usage later, in 1959. That time a computer giant produced its new 1401 computer, started shipping it to its customers, and needed material for securing electronic equipment. Bubblewrap packaging was the ideal material for that. As of now, a company, which owns this patented technology, earns more than $400 million annually due to this kind of packaging.
A bursting sound, which is produced by wrap while pressing a bubble, is stress relieving. It is difficult to keep off a pouch with bubbles, if it is lying somewhere on your way. Apps developers recognized this effect, and it resulted in a number of electronic games, such as Mugen Puchipuchi and alike, imitating a sound of a popping bubble by mouse click.
There is a Bubble Wrap Appreciation Day in the last Monday of December. This special day appeared after some radio station in Indiana received a delivery with microphones wrapped with this packing. After the equipment was unpacked and installed, the sound of bursting air bubbles was broadcast in the open air of the radio station.
Bubble Wrap Usage Advantages
Anxiety and troubles accompany almost every move. This is a hectic procedure. Facing piles of household goods, office equipment, pieces of furniture or your dear possessions, you may get frustrated. To feel confident, get prepared by collecting a good store of packing supplies in advance. Bubble wrap packing materials play an important role by keeping your goods undamaged during transportation. Ensuring its abundance, you will protect your household, save your budget and avoid nature pollution.
Packing bubble wrap is made of pliable plastic, which may easily support any rigid, protruded and unevenly shaped object. Plastic bubbles filled with air may come in various shapes and sizes. As a rule, regularly distributed hemispheres with 1 cm in diameter cover one side of bubble wrap. The surface of the other side is flat even. An air-filled pouch may be from 0.25’’ to 1’’ or more in diameter, its form may vary (hearts, stars, etc.). Different variants of material supply are provided. Depending on your needs, you may get it in rolls, ready-made envelopes, pockets, sheets. Electronic appliances may be transported with the specially produced packing foam wrap. It has a feature of dissipating electric static. This kind of packing peanuts is usually produced in pink color or marked with a colored stripe.
Use bubble wrap in combination with other packing supplies, such as cardboard boxes, adhesive or packing tapes, a stretch film. Thus, you will take advantage of its best features. Remember, that being packed thoroughly in several layers of bubble wrap, an object lose its original form. It will be difficult to define what it is by unpacking. Please make corresponding inscriptions with a marker to identify not only a thing itself, but also its top, bottom or sides.
The advantages of bubble wrap:
- It insures reliable cushioning to all transported goods. This helps to avoid damage when moving the goods at a long distance. The freighted possessions will not be broken accidentally.
- Sturdy material prevents objects, their surfaces and parts from being chipped and scratched.
- Air-filled packing material is very easy to use. Collect necessary types of bubble wrap packaging and quantity according to your needs. Cut necessary amount, roll over a unit, secure it with a stapler. This makes the packing job quick and convenient.
Using packing bubble wrap when moving is cost effective. You may save your budget for relocation, when choosing this packing material.
- Lightweight. Bubble wrap with its voids filled with air, weights almost nothing. You may use abundance of this material for packing things. The load will be reliably protected without changing its weight. If your relocation charge depends on weight of the goods, this is the perfect way to save you moving budget.
- Reasonable cost. Being supplied in various packs, forms and shapes, this air-filled material may be not expensive. Try to provide necessary calculations of the dispatching items and chose a precise form of bubble wrap to avoid excessive parts and leftovers. Moreover, search for these packing peanuts online. There are some Internet resources, which offer it by reasonable price. This is the cheapest place to buy bubble wrap for packing. Collect some amount free of charge. You are sure to find it by the nearest post-offices, department stores, big consumer goods warehouses. Ask your friends or people around you to share their stocks if any.
- Reusing bubble wrap. One of the features of bubble packing material is its sturdiness. It may keep its functions, if being used neatly and unpacked carefully. Please do not discard used material. Keep it and use during the next occasion yourself or offer your friends. However, second hand bubble wrap should stay undamaged to keep your household items secure.
Reusing bubble wrap makes it environmentally friendly material. Multiple ways of its further application is not limited to packing goods. Read more about it below. Being concerned with environment pollution issues, some producers of packing supplies offer 100% biodegradable bubble wrap.
What Goods May Be Packed With Bubble Wrap For The Move?
Bubble wrap has numerous advantages and benefits. One of them is its flexibility. It may cover and protect any item notwithstanding its form, fragility, preciousness.
TV And Appliances
Bubble wrap is indispensable when relocating electronics. Tiny chips, placed inside of these wares, may be damaged by static electricity. A special wrapping made of the material with antistatic effect is used. It is usually pink or marked with a colored stripe. An electric object should be covered with this wrapping, fixed with a tape and placed in the original appliance’s box. This is the best way of transportation for a TV, microwaves, computers, laptops, and smartphones. In case the original box is not preserved, use any other sturdy cardboard box of the same size. If there is any void left, crumpled paper, pieces of bubble wrap may fill emptiness, so that an appliance snugly fits the box.
Sentimental Decorations, Vases Made Of Ceramic
Delicate units demand abundance of bubble wrapping. Vibration, strikes during the trip may cause total ruin of glass, china, crystal wares. Do not spare wrapping peanuts in this case. Statuettes, vases or exquisite toys made of china or other fragile material usually have uneven edges, protruding elements. So apply several layers of bubble wrap, cover reliably top and bottom edges, secure a bundle with a wrapping tape and make an inscription with a marker. Load a package in a cardboard box eliminating the empty corners with a paper to avoid vibration.
Mirrors, Wares Made Of Glass
Glassware, pictures framed in glass, mirrors are extremely difficult keep intact by loading and moving. Glasses usually have an irregular form, protruded stems. Each of item is to be packed separately with several layers of bubble wrap. Place it in a special box with cardboard cells to avoid shaking. Use paper wrapping prior to bubble one as the first packing layer. The parts, which contact with food or drinks, should be intervened from direct touch of plastic. Mirrors and framed in glass pictures have rectangular shape as a rule. Bigger size items are susceptible to cracking and breaking, they should be handled with a special care. Apply paper wrapping as the first layer to avoid sticking bubble wrap to the mirror surface. The biggest diameter of air pouches of packing bubble wrap should be used in such a case.
Pieces Of Furniture And A Fridge
By relocating furniture, try to disassemble it to the parts, which are easy to pack, move and transport. The smaller a detail is, the easier its security may be ensured. However, there are cases when it is impossible to divide a piece of furniture to smaller details, for example, when it is an ancient masterpiece or valuable heirloom. Then a thorough packing with big-sized bubble wrap must be provided. There are units comprising glass elements, like tables with glass tops, transparent drawers, doors with fragile elements. Secure these parts, add several layers of wrap, fix with a packing tape. Handles tend to scratching. If it is not possible to dismantle them, protect only these protruding elements wedging with bubble pack between them and the main body.
Do not forget to secure the inner elements of your fridge (shelves, covers, drawers). Take off all glass elements, pack them with bubble wrap, stack them in any cardboard box suitable by size, filling in voids. Fridge drawers may be left inside the appliance, but make sure they are security wrapped and fixed with a tape.
Chinaware (Dishes, Cups, Teapots)
Glass or china dishes, cups, plates are difficult to relocate due to its fragility. Usually these units are supplied in sets, and it is important to preserve each separate item, especially if it is of sentimental, artistic or historical value. Teapots and cups are difficult to pack because of their uneven shape and protruded handles. Besides, all food contacting surfaces must be protected with a paper or BPA-free material. Try to provide bubble pack with FDA grade, otherwise protect plates, cups, dishes with one layer of wrapping paper. Apply abundant amount of bubble wrap to protect handles. Stack all bundles in boxes marked with “fragile”, “top”, “bottom” inscriptions.
4 Tips To Ensure Maximum Effect Of Bubble Wrap By Packing Goods
Bubble wrap appeared due to experiments with decorative materials, but nowadays we can hardly imagine any freight transportation, relocation or goods without this packing peanut. It is supplied as a ready packing material and is very simple in use. However, there are some tips, helping you to use it by 100%, thus making your move safe and your household items reliably protected.
Use The Correct Side Of The Bubble Wrap
Bubble material have two different sides. One is protruded air filled hemispheres. Another side is flat. A bubbled side should be in contact with the surface of a transported item. Therefore, if it goes about a ceramic dish, put it on the corrugated side, cover and fix with a packing tape. A glass cup should be stuffed with packing material, wrapped with it outside. This variant will ensure maximum effect to avoid damage from vibration, strikes. Bubbles easily take up the shape of the protected object, hold firmly a unit, providing its cushioning. In its turn, a flat side of bubble pack is sturdy and may be resistant to external damages.
Pick Up The Exact Size Of Bubble Wrap
Bubble packaging is supplied in various types. This helps to save the money picking up the exact size. Sheets, big rolls of bubble wrap for packing are suitable for transporting large objects. Smaller units may be packed in envelopes, pockets or bags made of bubble wrap. Bigger diameter of the bubbles may be suggested for volumetric appliances as a TV, or pieces of furniture, tabletops, etc. Envelopes, pockets may protect CDs, books, charges, and smartphones. Big bundles of wrapping materials are necessary for residential move packing and may be cheaper.
Secure Reliable Fixation Of Wrapping
Fragile object relocation will not be safe if bubble wrap moves around, or packing material slips off the protected item. Ensure availability of packing supplies different from bubble wrap. You will need scissors, crumpled paper, duct tape, cardboard boxes with cells or dividers. Make sure, that an abundant quantity and several layers of bubble wrap for packing is provided, if necessary. If you transport CDs, books or other units, which are not so tender, one-layer bubble envelope or a bubble pocket is enough. However, glass or crystal goods should be wrapped with two or three layers, secured with a packing tape on the edges and stacked into boxes. If there is any void inside of the box, add crumpled paper to avoid bundle moving.
Chose Proper Boxes For Transportation
Transported goods are subjected to vibration, impacts and strikes during the relocation. Emptiness inside of packing boxes will lead to goods damage. After packing protection has been applied, try to select correct moving boxes. It will help to fix bundles in the box. Bulkheads of sturdy cardboard or corrugated cardboard may be inside. Otherwise, stuff empty spaces with a crumpled paper. Try to use original boxes for electronic equipment and household appliances if you kept it.
Now it is time to think about future unpacking. Try to stack similar things or the items from one room in the same box. Provide relevant inscription on the box (room, items, etc.), top and bottom indications. Mark fragile items with necessary signs. These simple operations will help you to avoid losing your possessions. Unpack them in a correct order, without hustle. There will be no danger that a delicate unit will slip off by box opening.
Reusing Bubble Wrap At Home
An opportunity to reuse bubble packaging is its benefit. This reliable and sturdy material may be exploited for multiple packing, if being handled with care. Just be patient by opening boxes with arrived possessions. Leave layers of bubble wrap packaging undamaged. Thus, take advantage of further wrapping material usage and save the money. This also will decrease environment pollution by plastic.
Still, there are many ways for bubble wrap utilization at home, if you or your friends do not need it for packing articles for moving.
- Sunlight protection of your rooms. If direct sunbeams are not desirable, cover the window glass with bubble wrap, duct tape it and enjoy decreased temperature in your premises.
- Knees protection while gardening. Cut off two similar sheets of bubble wrap. They have to be attached to the knee zone of your pants. You may perform your duties in your flowerbed comfortably kneeling and without damaging your clothes.
- Keep your shoes, hats, handbags neat when you do not use them. Protect their shape by stuffing them with bubble wrap before hiding the items in the closet.
- Instrument handles cushioning. Working for a long time with a manual appliance or a tool may cause blisters. Attach bubble wrap to mobs, brooms, hammers handles and fix it reliably. This will keep your hands undamaged.
- A sole insert will protect your feet from corns and cold. Make a pad by drawing necessary form and size of a foot, cut it off. This bubble wrap sole will be effective at least 5-6 hours, being placed inside of the shoes.
- If you need to leave your potted plants outside the house during cold season, read this tip. To avoid plant freezing, attach bubble wrap to your pots, wrap thoroughly and add some inches on the top. Fix with duct tape and the soil with plant roots will stay warm.
- Your outdoors pipes and spouts may be damaged by strong frosts in winter. To ensure their smooth working in the warm season, protect them when it is cold. Cover tubes with a sheet of the material, wrap and tie it thoroughly. Bubble wrap will protect these elements from bursting out.