- Route and distance
- Timing and scheduling
- Packing and refusal lists
- Main and alternative package materials
- Professionals or call in favor everybody
- Main packing steps on the day of relocation
Eat the elephant piece by piece. This saying is good to remember when you are facing an emotional and exciting perspective of relocating your household.
Either we have in mind a new rented apartment or a new lodging purchase, this future travel with all possessions seems a big ordeal.
However, don’t be afraid.
Try to make this experience as pleasant as you can.
We have compiled some tips and tricks about home preparations for a move. Household packing seems to be the most tiresome procedure.
Please define time and the budget available for the whole operation from the very beginning. Which part you would like to save and which to invest in your future house. Your decision depends on your savings, possessions and circumstances.
If your household objects do not require special treatment, these ideas below will give you understanding how to pack yourself thus saving budget.
Five Tips for Packing in Advance
1. Travel Distance, Route
Moving companies usually charge by hours, their tariffs always depend on timing. It will be your obligation to count hours needed for the move. Are you moving out of state, to the neighboring town, city or district? Do not rely on GPS or distance map. Your route will always include traffic in all cases, except you are moving in a neighboring house. Think in advance about detours, possible traffic jams and suitable working days to decrease possibility of traffic delays and try not to increase movers’ fees.
2. Scheduling a Move
Time is the most valuable constituent of any moving. As soon as you’ve decided to relocate, start packing. However, no move may begin without two lists, a packing list and a checklist.
What concerns the latter, it must comprise a schedule. Correct timing will help you to reduce costs for relocation: booking moving services in advance, plan correct traffic avoiding jams, collect packing materials free of charge or with big discounts, ask available assistants or babysitters to help for free during the big day.
Just schedule all these points, inform everybody and you will sure to cope with everything.
The least used apartment, a guest room, a basement, etc., may be packed first. Provide some free space and pile ready-packed boxes there. Then they will not interfere everyday activity even if you start packing some months ahead.
A checklist must comprise actions with refusal items. Donate, sell or trash them. Put down a smart idea to send documents or heavy books with American Mail sending. It will save your money. Besides, such a shipment is reliable.
Plan to change your address in the services connected with shipment and delivery or other accounts at least a week before packing and relocating. Send a notice to services providers about disconnection.
3. Packing And Refusal Lists
Refusal list is an important point influencing you moving cost.
Get rid of your old stuff. Follow our advice. A thing should be trashed in case it has not been used more than a year. Lighter weight of the load will decrease the budget for relocation. Moreover, if you are able to sell it on the internet or at a garage sale, you will earn money.
Remember, that professional movers have lists of forbidden materials for relocation. Try to get them in advance. An approximate list comprises chemicals, explosives, perishables, hazardous items, live animals and plants.
If there are some objects, which you are not sure about, you may order to store it in some special warehouse for some fee.
Make a packing list. Pay special attention to jewelry, small but dear souvenirs, and family photos and choose to deliver these items by yourself.
4. Main And Alternative Package Materials. An Essential Box
If you decide avoiding professional services and packing yourself or with friends’ assistance, there should be provided plenty of package materials, Ziploc bags, bubble wrap, packing tape, sets of markers, blankets, old clothes, sturdy trash bags and paper boxes. You will need many durable cardboard boxes.
This is important. Security of your possessions depends on the quality of package materials. Moreover, delivery will be safe if the packing job has been performed correctly. So, ask friends or supermarkets nearby about free or unnecessary cardboard boxes. Try to get the least worn units.
Think ahead about your essentials box, which must be loaded the last but reloaded the first. It should contain objects you will need the most, toiletries, clothes change for all family members, medications, laptops. It is better to use transparent package material for it or to label a package so that you find it at once.
5. Professionals Or Call in Favor Everybody
In case you own some precious painting, ancient artworks or expensive sport equipment, the best way to pack these objects is to hire professional services, which have necessary instruments. They also may offer a good moving insurance. In such circumstances, there is no room for your purse protection.
Nevertheless, if you your possessions are moderate, you have a budget saving option to pack yourself.
Therefore, the big day starts. All preliminary works are performed. There is no way of coping alone, as the job must be done quickly. A truck must be loaded on time. So, call in favor friends, colleagues, babysitters, neighbors, etc. Distribute strictly the roles and obligations, delegate tasks some weeks ahead so that each minute is efficient on the day of moving. Send an e-mail with instructions. Moreover, do not forget to order pizza delivery, offer refreshments. Be a nice host.
Main Packing Steps on The Day of Relocation
- Decide upon the rule of packing, follow it strictly. For example, packing separately each room, keeping things from a definite apartment in a definite box.
- Label a parcel or a box correspondingly, or create a special coding indicating which unit goes for which place. Mark with arrows bottom and top. Marked fragile units accordingly.
- Take photos of electronic appliances before disconnecting from cords. This operation will help to install them in a new place fast.
- Dishes and fragile objects must be packed with double layer wrapping paper and transported vertically.
- Pack heavy units in smaller boxes, smaller items in bigger ones. Keep the rule of maximum 20-pound weight box. 6. Keep screwdrivers, nuts and bolts in a transparent pack together with the parts of furniture where they come from. Stick or tape them together and do not lose.
- Air should not be transported. No empty drawers, chests or dressers should be relocated. Leave its contents or put small loads there and close thoroughly.
- Big and heavy possessions such as pianos, sofas should be loaded first in a truck. Then smaller things go.
- Define priority of loading in a packing list. Remember that the units loaded the first will be unloaded the last.